The Psychology of Selling
Getting more sales is not just about having a bigger call to action button on your website or a better video on your video brochure, it is far more important to look at the strategies and the The Psychology of Selling that are supporting these.
Strategies set the stage for your sales goals to be realised and by ignoring the psychology behind them you are missing out on a big piece of the puzzle. There are five main psychological principles that will help your business generate the most conversions possible and they are:
- Fear of Loss: People are more scared to lose something than they are happy to gain something. As part of your call to action it is always good to outline what your customers might miss out on if they don’t get moving.
- Instinct: Gerald Zaltman, a professor at Harvard Business School,says that approx. 9 out of 10 purchasing decisions are made automatically, intuitively, and instinctively. Therefore based on this analysis it would be fair to assume that your landing pages or video brochures must make your customers feel very comfortable about you and your purchasing process.
- Social Proof: The more people say it’s true, then the more likely it is to be true. So get a testimonial done and have customer logos on your website. Herd behaviour works because we are wired to do what others are doing.
- Choice: When we are faced with too many options we simply don’t do anything, so make your videos or landing pages short, sharp and to the point. By keeping them simple and not over burdening your customers with choices they are more likely to do what you want them to.
- Recall: We tend to pay more attention at the start of something and then drift away because our brains get bored or tired as time passes. This is where headlines and products like video brochures that engage your customers are critical.
Follow these five steps and watch your conversions pick up… as they say success leaves clues.